Air fresheners are nice, but the ingredients aren't. Most air fresheners contain chemicals that are toxic to the environment and even potentially harmful to humans. Some of these chemicals are formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, 1,4 dichlorobenzene and aerosol propellants. Half those ingredients I can't even pronoun, which is usually a bad sign. Thankfully, air fresheners are easy to make at home. Here's one I made with four simple ingredients:
Lemon Lavender Air Freshener
Things you'll need:
- Lemon essential oil (20-30 drops)
- Lavender essential oil (15-20 drops)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- A bowl
- A spoon
- An empty spray bottle
- A funnel (or small measuring spoon)
Example: Make lemon (15-20 drops), and lavender (20-30 drops).
|Baking soda, a spray bottle, and lemon/lavender essential oil.|
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and add it to the bowl using the spoon.
- Add 20-30 drops of lemon essential oil to the baking soda. Mix it together with the spoon. The baking soda should become a little clumpy. Add more essential oil for a stronger scent, if desired.
- Add 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil to the baking soda. Mix together. Add more essential oil for a stronger scent, if desired.
- Use the funnel, or a small measuring spoon, to transfer the mixture into the empty spray bottle.
- Once the mixture is transferred, add water to the spray bottle. Once it's filled, make sure the top is screwed on tight to prevent leakage, then shake the bottle. This will help the water infuse with the mixture. Spritz the air, smell, and ta-da! You're done.